Wednesday, March 23, 2011

eating, oatmeal, walking, pushing mower, eating healthy

I have been eating healthy-tumeric, pepper, and garlic powder all mixed togeather is a cocktail of healthy spices to sprinkle on your food.  --just a little, but  according to what I read it has lots of antioxidants and you can not tell it is in your food. Another thing I started doing is adding a little oatmeal (the kind you have to cook) to everything.  Yesterday I fixed an omelet with two egg whites and one whole egg,  I added a little fresh broccoli, a little oatmeal, a little turmeric, pepper, salt, sprinkle of garlic (can't tell it is there) and and after it was done, I lightly sprinkle with shredded cheese. It was delicious and held me up for hours plus seemed to satisfy my appetite. I am willing to try just about anything that makes sense. 

My grandma had hundreds of tips that made no sense at all.  Like she said once when I was a little girl and had warts on my hands-  She said that I needed to go gather some fresh dirt from a new grave on a moonless night and rub my wart with it and then walk backwards out of the graveyard and the wart would be gone by the time I got home. Now none of that makes any kind of sense.  I did love my grandma she was the only family member that ever hugged me.  But sometimes I think of the things that she would say and I know she was uneducated and fresh from ireland, but really she was smart  oh well she was kind to me.  She also said that when an owl hooted outside of the house it meant someone would die and you could tie a knot in your sheet and the owl would drop down dead and the person would not die.  She had hundreds of these old wives tails.  I wish I had the chance to let her know that she was special to me.

This morning I had one serving of oatmeal and some whole wheat bread and small fresh sausage, and some pepperoni.  Isn't it amazing how you start doing something and then it just does not seem right not to keep doing it?  I bought a small pack of pepperone because I like it and it is only 10 calories for each one.  and I would just grab on or two of them and now I need them all the time.  Is it possible to get an addiction to something like that.  Not an actual addiction but I suppose it is a habit.  When I quit smoking (April 24-9 years ago) I found that I missed the hand to mouth habit as much as I missed the actual smoking. 

Went walking this morning with dh.  He has a job tonight at a local factory,  He will be painting the offices.  He will leave at 5 and probably paint until about 3 in the morning.  That will give the offices time to air out a bit before people get back in them in the morning.  So I suppose he will not go walking with me thisafternoon. 

In a little while I think I will go out and push my mower in my back yard.  The grass is not growing but the weeds are taking over and it is looking shaggy back there.  I burn a lot of calories pushing a mower around.  Dh told me I push even when the grass does not need cutting.  LOL I think I do too, like Isaid it is a great exercise. 

Have a blessed day everyone.

1 comment:

  1. Joy, it sounds like you're in a better mood, and I hope you are feeling well. Oatmeal is my favorite food! I have put it in meatloaf before instead of bread crumbs.
    I LOL'ed about the walking out the graveyard backwards. There were so many steps! My family in the Appalachian Mtns (grandmother and great-when she was alive) know a ton of old wives tales. Their heritage was Scotch Irish. I always wondered if it was something passed down.

    Congratulations on the 9 years free of smoking. I've watched my dad try to quit about 100 times already. He says it's the hardest thing he's ever tried to do.

    God bless!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete