Monday, March 28, 2011

Article from real age

Josie the diet I was talking about was the one I talked about in an earlier post.  You eat 5 times a day and they are small meals.  I like it because I know that portion control is a big obstcle to me.  I also know that I can retrain my eyes, my stomach and my emotional need to eat.  This seems to be a very good tool for me,  at least for now it is working and I pray for positive changes.

Here is an article I read ,  it is interesting but I had this mental image of 20 women and men standing infront of Krispy Kreme with fist clenched, and me standing there with my jaw clenched, shoulders tight, buttocks clenched, knees locked tight. lol





RealAge Tip




Boost Your Willpower with a Quick Squeeze

By RealAge



This Week's TipsBoost Your Willpower with a Quick Squeeze



Next time you find yourself in front of a bakery window full of pastries, here's a little trick to help you say "no, thanks": Just make a fist, and squeeze.



Sounds a little goofy, we know. But there's scientific evidence that it may help boost your willpower. In a recent study, squeezing muscles at the moment of decision seemed to help prompt people to make healthier snack choices.



Flex Your Power

Researchers recently examined willpower under two conditions. In one, people were asked to use either loose or tight pen grips as they filled out surveys while standing in line at a snack bar. The people with firm, tight grasps on the pen made better, healthier snack choices. In another experiment, people were able to drink more of a not-so-great-tasting health tonic when they flexed their calf muscles while imbibing. Of course, healthful foods don't necessarily have to taste bad. But researchers see both the pen-grip experiment and the calf-flex experiment as evidence that our bodies -- and not just our minds -- help influence our self-control. (Did you know? You're more likely to say no to junk in the grocery store if you use this to pay.)



Muscle-to-Mind Connection

But there's a bit of a catch to it. In the study, the squeezing effect seemed to help only people who already had good health intentions. It didn't make as much difference if people didn't care about their health to begin with. So if eating right and staying slim are your goals, try a little muscle the next time you want to steel your resolve against junk food. And if eating healthfully isn't a goal, maybe it's time it was! (Got a health goal? RealAge has customized plans to help you lose weight, shed belly fat, quit smoking, or take years off your skin.)



.

2 comments:

  1. That's interesting! I'll have to give that a try. Heaven knows I can use all the help I can get in that department.

    ReplyDelete